- Go to the bathroom–worst thing ever to be on a run and have to go…
- Relax your shoulders and arms
- Try not to slap your feet on the ground–roll through your stride so you don’t hurt yourself
- Double tie your shoe laces
- Breathe through your nose so you don’t dehydrate as quickly
- When you get a side ache take a deep breath in through your nose and blow it out quickly through your mouth until it’s gone
- It’s okay to walk for a few seconds to catch your breath, but keep going
- Breath, breath, breath…
- Pace yourself
- Encouragement–You can do it! Great job!
- Don’t run during the hottest part of the day–you will feel like you’re on fire and can’t put it out
- Don’t take vitamins an hour before you run–you will feel nauseous during your whole run
- Wear sunglasses or a hat during your run so you don’t get a headache from squinting
- Lullaby songs are not the greatest to listen to when trying to pump yourself up during a run–check your playlist ahead of time
- Walk to cool down–don’t just stop (passing out is never a good thing)
- Stretch again
P.S. My daughter did amazing–she ran 2.25 miles in 23 minutes… her first time ever running with me… I think she is going to have me beat if she keeps that up!
Note to self: Lesson #9 – Always remain teachable–look at all that I have learned in a short amount of time!